10 Ways to keep yourself from going crazy when you have a newborn:
- Meal Prep: You know all of your friends who spend days meal planning? Yes, be like them. Figure out what meals work best (and are freezable) and schedule/make as many as you can. When you come home with your brand-new baby in tow, you’re not going to want to leave their side to cook dinner. This Chicken Taco Soup is EASY + Freezable!
- Ask for help: Don’t be afraid to reach out for assistance for whatever you may need. It’s what friends and family are for!
- Chat with a Certified Sleep Consultant, free!: Believe me, when your baby gets good sleep, you will get good sleep. Talking with a Sleep Consultant can give you the support you need to make the best plan for your little one. Taking the time to do that, will save your sanity. That is why Gerber® Good Start® Gentle is happy to introduce a Certified Sleep Consultant for your little one’s needs.
- SLEEP WHENEVER YOU CAN: Speaking of sleep, do it, as often as possible. I don’t know about you, but the more I sleep the nicer I am. The less I sleep, well, it’s the opposite, and it ain’t pretty.
- Shower: I know this seems like something simple, but for me it made a world of difference. It made me feel regular and human again, and nothing beats the smell of being clean. Especially if you’re covered in baby “stuff”. If the one thing you do for yourself is shower each day, do it. It will make you feel so much better to just shower and put on a fresh pair of sweat pants.
- Get some fresh air: Get out and go for a walk, even if it’s just in your backyard. I felt so isolated after having both boys and walks (especially on cool nights) were a great way to get out of the house and relax as a family after a long day of snuggles and feedings.
- Enjoy Yourself: Take a few minutes each morning just to remind yourself how blessed you are. Think about it, you’ve got a brand new little precious life in your hands. And yes, it can be stressful – but what you are experiencing now is something that so many dream of. Savor it, breathe it in.
- Record everything: My favorite memories are those made when we first brought the boys home. With Wyatt everything was new, but I did my best to write down my favorite moments. The first time he smiled, what blanket he used. With Levi, I did the same thing. I kept his baby book close by and wrote about how much joy he brought to our family.
- Keep your camera charged. You’re going to want to take a billion sleeping baby photos, it just comes with the territory. And when you put your baby to sleep at night, and you’re exhausted, something will pull you to review those snapshots and look at your adorable Gerber® baby! Instant cameras are also a great option!
- Take a breather: When you’re getting frustrated or overwhelmed remind yourself of this one thing. Having a newborn is hard work, and you’re doing the BEST that you can. Sometimes we can be our own worst critic – try to keep that in mind.
Just a note: From mother to mother, you’re doing great. Even if you’re reading this and you have yet to welcome your little bundle into the world, you’re still doing a great job. Got it? Now, go snuggle that baby, or prep for the nursery – you’ve got this!
Do YOU have any tips for moms-to-be? Leave them in the comments below!
Check out more of our family posts HERE.